Sunday, February 8, 2009

Applying

hello there,
has been a long time since i last wrote on this blog...well..i wouldnt exactly say i was busy but i wasn't able to write coz of the winter break...i went back to nepal and was too busy trekking around and trying to relax!

today i'd like to tell you more about how i had prepared when I was applying to Cornell for pre-med...now that the time for me to apply to medical school is near (this march), it is going to be helpful for me to recall what i did too!!

to begin with, i was unaware about the existence of this branch of cornell during my high school days. so my only plans were to apply to universities and colleges in the states and that was how i was preparing for the whole time. (please do realize that i am only one of the sixty students accepted in my class...so there is a huge range in scores of the people who did get accepted..there is no cut off level...every individual has his/her unique characters which the admission committee looks into...dont get dissapointed if u have anything less and if u have better scores..good for u..but in college admission...as u might have heard..nothing is guaranteed..and i am not at all a professional!!)

i did the Cambridge GCE A Levels (but there are students who have done the high school system of India (CBSE), French Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, Edexcel, Advanced Placement and so on..i dont even know all of them!!)...i had taken 5 subjects and had got a good enuf grade of As and Bs ( I know students with Cs and Ds as well)... after two years of high school, i decided to take a break to pull myself together and work on college application stuff and also tp prepare myself for the college experience...most people dont take any year off actually...in my case...my high school had its own style and almost everyone took a year off...most people who get accepted here in freshman year are around 18 years old...but we had the youngest person to ever get accepted here (age 14) and people who had already started medical school but left to start from premed again (age 20-21)

i took my SAT Reasoning Test, 3 SAT Subject Tests, TOEFL all in my gap year and got above average scores (in regards to this college)...check out the website to know the average scores..heres a quote from our website

"While no single grade or exam score guarantees admission, it would be relevant to note that the average GPA of the students entering the Pre-medical Program in 2005 was 3.8 and additionally that these students had an average SAT math score of 676 and an average TOEFL score of 604." (http://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/education/admin/downloads/2007_eviewbook.pdf)

i dont know the recent scores
the admission committee here looks beyond these standard tests more in this college than any other american college because of the fact that most applicants here are non-native English speakers...so if your reading score in SAT or your TOEFL scores arent particularly impressive as per US standards, you shouldnt worry that much because at this college they consider the fact that you are not supposed to be that impressive...however, i would advice you to pay attention in subjects that arent language based like science and maths.

after taking my tests, I started working on my personal statements. I made it a point to look into all the distinctions that this college had over any other college and by the time I was done researching for my colleges, I knew that WCMC-Q would be my priority school. (I actually stumbled upon this college's website by mere luck!!) I also made it a point to apply to numerous other schools for safety (I actually applied to 12 different schools!! u can choose the no. of schools u want to apply to but try and make it more than just one! look for a school that matches with your personality so that u get the best environment u need...good college research is a must!)

Then came the time of writing why I wanted to study at Cornell and why I would choose this particular one instead of the hundreds of thousands of schools all over the world! As I had researched well, not just about the college but about life as a general in Doha, in Qatar and the lifestyle of the college students here in Qatar Foundation, I had a lot to say. And I made my point clear in my personal statement that this was indeed what I was looking for. But in an essay, you have to also make it a point to state what benefit will the college have by accepting you..i wouldnt say u promise them that ud win the nobel prize and make the college famous, but talk about you as a unique individual, what are your strong points (try not to include your weak points unless u will make some important point later on!) and how you would make a difference in the culture of WCMC-Q, how you would stand out between the other 60 students who would get in with you and more importantly, how are u different from the other hundreds if not thousands of applicants! talk about what made u choose medicine as a career....etc etc (u shud know the drill if u r applying!!)

I did exactly that and "ONE FINE DAY, I OPEN MY INBOX AND SEE AN EMAIL FROM THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE OF WCMC-Q ASKING ME TO APPEAR FOR AN INTERVIEW!!" (i jumped up and down with joy..shouted out on top of my voice...etc etc.. btw..it was one fine night...my neighbours didn't seem to be too happy about my interview invitation or maybe it was my shouting!)

i flew to doha (yes, everyone HAS to appear for the interview) and nervously walked into the doors of the college's gigantic yet beautiful building...but the interview wasnt as nerve-racking as i thought it would be...the dean of admissions was an affable person and i was calm by the time i took the first bite of my doughnut during breakfast... i was briefed about the college, about the main campus..our college's plans etc etc during breakfast and then i was interviewd by 3 people including a faculty, the dean of admissions and a medical student..(yours could be different..i dont know what happens these days)...the interview went really pleasantly...it was more of a chit chat where they wanted to learn more about me and I wanted to learn more about the college and what I should expect.....i was also asked a simple question in science but that is not common and even if asked..it is okay to make a mistake! (dont stress about it from now!)

so yeah...after the interview...another fine day (this time it was during the day) I received a phone call saying i was accepted and that was that! i was the happiest person coz I was accepted to cornell's pre-medical program and my dreams of becomin a cornell doctor were very close to being true (btw..if u dont see me around next year...cud u tell the admissions committee that i really wanted to become a cornell MD and to reconsider and take me in??) jk..hopefully i will be around to write another story about how i got accepted to the medical program...inshallah (one of the very few arabic words i have learnt!)

thanks for taking the time to read this looooong post...and please leave behind your useful comments...u can also catch me on facebook..just look me up and id be glad to help.


NOTE: This is a personal blog and the information or advice given here are my own views coming out of my own personal experiences. If you see any differences between what is said here and the official WCMC-Q website, please adhere to WCMC-Q's recommendations and policies. Neither WCMC-Q nor I am liable for any claim made in relation to this blog. Summing it up, this is me speaking and not Cornell but the advices I have written here might be helpful!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,I too am applying to the premed program and had a few questions in my mind. So here I go,
1.Did you apply for financial aid, if you did get aid, how do you plan on paying off your loan? I mean, say for some reason you did not get selected to the MD program, what job will get you the money to pay off loans with just a premed degree?

2. A similar question, but still: If you don't get selected to the MD program at Qatar, what will be your further plans? For me US will be out of the question, as it is way too expensive.

3. Is the university well known in the mideast and the US

4. Finally, I'd be reaaaaaallllllly grateful if you could review my essay :).....if you have the time, that is. I'm, getting really paranoid about my essay. But be frank, I don't want to take a lot of your time. If you agree I'll mail it to your ID.

You could mail your answers at tushar1603@gmail.com or post it on your blog. Thanks a ton!!

Abhyudaya Joshi said...

hey tushar,
if u dont get into the medical school, ull have to pay back the money in two years (the no. of years u spent here as a student, unless u join another school in Education City)...i dont know of any jobs that would pay back that money...at least not after only two years of college..
if i dont get into md, i might go to the states or join another college in education city..there are a no. of other amazing schools, but not medicine here. but i suggest u not to worry about the MD program from now itself and apply to pre-medicine if u r interested in doing MD..if they accept u in pre-medicine..then u can say that they think that u r good enough to get into cornell MD as well..unless u screw up really bad
the university is well known in the middle east, u can say without doubt tht it is the best school here so far..and it is equally popular in US and its popularity is increasing as our first batch of students have just passed out and are doing residencies in the states..so more n more people will learn about this place.. besides..cornell is also working to promote this place..so i wouldnt really worry about popularity as this place is bound to be one of the leaders in medicine, at least in the mid east after sidra is built.
and yeah..u cud mail me ur essay..i hope i will be able to go thru it..might take a while tho..but i am not exactly a good critic!!

डॉ .अनुराग said...

its by chance i see your blog ..hey there are lot of doc in this world.

Anonymous said...

Hey abhyudaya, I don't have your email id, and i don't want to make my essay public...could u mail it??

Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Joshi

Thank you for your knowledgeable and informative views about WCMC-Q admissions. I have a few questions:

1. Is the medical school recognized by LCME, which accredits all American medical schools?

2. I have heard that the organic chemistry courses are particularly hard, and do you have any specific advice on how to do well if I get in?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

hi thank you for sharing your appling experience it was very helpful

ihave some questions about the intereviw

you said there well be some science questions could you tell us what you have been asked so i would know what kind of sci inf ishall prepare for ?


and did the interviewer chat with you about you essay ?if not can you tell what kind of question you have been asked ((example would be v.helpfull))?

thank u very much fut.doc

Abhyudaya Joshi said...

dont worry about the science questions in the interview..it is highly unusual...if it does happen, it will be somthing u mustve studied in high school..mine was something related to gel electrophoresis, was a pretty straight forward questions..so dont worry bout tht...
n yeah...be sure of what uve written in ur essay coz that is important...it is usually the subject they talk on..apart from other subjects like why medicine, why doha, ur strong points, ur weak points, u plans etc etc

Unknown said...

1. are we supposed to send the financial aid application to WCMCQ or the Qatar Foundation
2. is the interview formal? i mean do they have some fixed questions they wanna ask or can u just go on about yourself incessantly? (which, incidentally, i really like to do)
3. No phone interviews, right?

noman said...

hey dosti, have u got the interview call? They received my complete application bu 3rd march, i have yet to receive any word from them.....how much time does it take for them to process ur application?

Unknown said...

@ Noman: My completed app was sent AGES ago. Following that, they rejected some of my documents and asked to send them again. To date, i have sent about three courier packages to them. I don't know what they are doing really. No interview call. No replies to my emails. God knows how long it takes to process the application. btw Noman where u at? im in Pakistan. I hope i get teh call soon. Got rejected by 9 of teh top unis in the US yesterday!! LOL

Noman said...

@dosti, They accepted all my documents: just sent my two school transcripts (grade 10th and 12th) and references......they didn't raise any objections..till now, At least u've had some sort of communication from their side (the rejections!). Anyways, try calling them,b/w 8-3.30 local time, they usually do pick up the phone. When i called them up they said they'd finish up with all interviews by the 30th....that's freaking me out, I mean its just 3 weeks away....When are they gonna tell us, a day before?? I live in Singapore. And hey, what do u mean by long ago? I sent my online application by 1st Feb and my school dispatched my transcripts by 18th Feb. Anyways i got accepted at Boston PreMed and a couple of Canadian universities as well.

Unknown said...

@ Noman
great to hear abt Boston. did u apply for aid? I heard they don't give aid to internationals. Hence i didn't apply. I did get into Canada though. Lot of people got in there.
I sent my completed app around the same time as u did. I will definitely call them. No other choice.

Anonymous said...

hello Abhyudaya
in ur blog u say that u applied to ten other schools? which schools? are there other med schools that provide financial aid to international students?
and secondly are u gettin financial aid at wcmc-q. I flew to doha from pakistan today. my premed interview is day after tomorrow. ur best advice and counseling plz.. are there any pakistani's at wcmcq?

Anonymous said...

hello everyone,for all of the new applicants that are cncerned about receiving their interviews, I want to tell you that my application was completed since march But i only got my interview this week. i received the letter on the sixth.they informed me that all the interviews will be comleted by 22/04/09. Good luck and i hope to see you all in fall 2009.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Abhyudaya Joshi for ur blog and for guys who shared comments. It helps a lot. I too am Premed applicant. Do u think it's normal that it takes very loooong to addmission office to process our application? Or I'm only who haven't got any messages from them? Or do you think that getting no message means they are saying "No"? if there people like me please let me know. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone! :)
Thank you for sharing your comments ! I am a high school student ( I am 17 now ) and I am planning to apply for Cornell ! I still have one more year in high school but I thank god that I discovered that I should prepare myself before graduation ! Honestly, I felt anxious when I heard that this application needs a lot of time and hard work but I still want that ! I know I still have enough time to get ready for the tests but can you please tell me how did you find this experience ( I mean the application and even studying in Cornell) !I am from Tunisia and I know that I need to be better in English ! I mean I am scared of being disappointed !
And I'll be very GRATEFUL if you helped me ! And thank you :D

Anonymous said...

I know u guys are gonna laugh at me.
But i just applied for WCMC-Q pre med program..
But I ddnt take my SATs yet.
Will they even consider me or not

Anonymous said...

Well you guys will laugh at me even harder. i really tried but then ended up trying scoring high in the SATs, even though I find the questions really easy, except 2 or 3 of them.
1st go 470 CR 670 M 600 W
2nd go 570 CR 650 M 570 W
SAT subject tests:
740 Chem, 730 Bio M, 690 Maths level II
blah